CONDITION-BASED FLUSHING STRATEGY NEWLY INCLUDED IN DVGW RULE W 291
Rule W 291 "Cleaning and disinfection of drinking water distribution pipes" issued by the German Technical and Scientific Association for Gas and Water (DVGW) has been revised and supplemented to the "condition-based flushing strategy", which now includes, among other things, the experience and knowledge gained by the DVGW Water Technology Center (TZW) and by water supply companies.
The condition-based flushing strategy is thus a procedure recognized by the DVGW and is already being implemented by a large number of companies in order to provide drinking water of the highest quality at all times.
It essentially consists of the following work steps:
- Development of a systematic flushing plan for the flushing area
- Carrying out a basic flush
- Repetition of the flushing after a defined interval with recording of the deposit situation in the pipes
- Calculation of the flushing intervals on the basis of the measured deposit situation
- Development of the condition-oriented flushing plan on the basis of the calculations
Through this targeted and sustainable approach, the occurrence of brown water and turbidity can be safely controlled.